Friday, September 11, 2009

Ah, It's Refreshing to See Vampires With Teeth!


I’m a pretty big fan of vampires. I have been ever since I was 14 and read L.J. Smith’s The Vampire Diaries and fell madly in love with Stefan Salvatore. As I grew and reread the series, I switched teams to Damon (I like my men a little rougher and tougher). I love this series so much, so naturally I was over the moon when I found out a TV show was in the works. I was incredibly excited to see how The CW could take one of the most romantic young adult vampire book series and make it something we haven’t seen before (cough cough TWILIGHT).

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is helmed by Kevin Williamson (SCREAM,DAWSON’S CREEK), who I think is the perfect choice for the show, and director Marcus Siega. A collaboration between these two almost guarantees fast-paced, wordy, teen angst, and that’s exactly what we get. I’m aware that the books and show will be incredibly different (I’m loving the Ellena on the show, not so much from the books), that’s what will make it fun to watch. This isn’t TRUE BLOODor even Twilight, but it’s a version of the vampire mythology that we haven’t seen since the sensual heydays of BUFFY: THE VAMPIRE SLAYER(season two to be exact). We will get a new dose every week and every week you will have to read my blatherings about the show. CONGRATS!

This week’s Pilot just introduced the characters. Ellena is the human love interest that vampire brothers Stefan and Damon Salvatore will fight over. They fight over other things too, but mostly it always comes back to Ellena. She and her brother lost their parents in a car accident the year before, but she is determined to put that horrific time in their lives behind her. Her two closest friends, Bonnie and Caroline, fight over who is Ellena’s best friend (like I said, it’s all about Ellena) and eventually we will learn more about Bonnie’s declaration that she is a psychic—in the books she is, but I’m not so sure that’s the way the show will go. Blah blah blah, you get the idea. Two sexy vampire brothers love one sexy broken teenage girl, fighting and hopefully heavy petting ensues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home