Saturday, November 11, 2006

Why Gwen likes to watch comedies

So, my dad's birthday was this weekend. He always complains that we don't watch movies in the theatres anymore, so we decided to take him to a movie of his choice tonight. He chose Flags of Our Fathers. Now, I really really tried hard to convince him to see Stranger Than Fiction, but I lost. The movie was crazy intense, and way more violent than I ever needed to see. It made me very depressed, and I got very close to walking out during the Iwo Jima scenes. I really enjoyed when the three heroes were back in America trying to sell war bonds, but the flashbacks just hurt so much to watch. I'm glad I saw it, but I just don't think I can handle war movies right now. A nice comedy would have felt so much better.

To make up for it, I'm now going to watch this week's ep. of Grey's Anatomy and just try to not think about blown up body parts and reluctant heroes.

I'm also currently looking for movie suggestions. If you have any, please send it my way and I'll be happy to give it a try and write a review about it.

Movie of the Day: Flags of Our Fathers, even though it was one of the most violent films I have seen since Irreversible, it was beautifully shot, exceptionally well acted, and completely moving. The film brought me to tears multiple times, and left me understanding how difficult it must be to be considered a hero by so many, when you don't believe it yourself. These men died protecting their friends, not necessarily trying to make a bigger impact.

Song of the Day: "Scene is Dead" by We Are Scientists

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara Reyes said...

I agree, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow. It was interesting sitting next to you...with our eyes closed, holding hands but peering through slitted eyes when the music wasn't so intense. Usually when the most inappropriate body part was blown off.

I thought I'd have worse dreams about it than I did, although I really really don't know if I want the flga your father deserves when he passes.

Is that unpatriotic... or just sensible? I don't think it is, just brings back really bad thoughts.

And worse, Eastwood did a part two to this movie which we'll have to see in February 2007 -- from the Japanese viewpoint. They were young boys too, just following their leaders. Personally, they should make ALL the leaders who think war is good and important be in the front lines, not sitting in some war room, under ground and safe. I loathe war and its glorification.

But anyway, speaking of death, I saw the "Relish" episode...very good. Now I just dream of being run over by a forklift!

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home