Monday, December 21, 2009

Le Swoon: North & South rivals Pride and Prejudice

Last night I stayed up until 3AM watching the most beautiful BBC miniseries. I could not have imagined a more engaging and wondrous movie if someone had given me all the glitter, rainbows, and active imagination in the world. And this movie was all about the down-trodden and British Industrial Revolution. What’s the movie you ask? NORTH & SOUTH. Yes, you’re probably thinking I’m confusing the 1980s classic American Civil War miniseries starring the late Patrick Swayze; but my friends I am not talking about that NORTH AND SOUTH(although now that I think about it, I should really re-watch that one.)
The NORTH & SOUTH, based on the novel by Elizabeth Gaskel, I rented last night told the story of middle class Southerner Margaret Hale (Daniela Denby-Ashe), who, after her clergyman father leaves his post and uproots their family to the Northern industrial town of Milton, falls in love with the dashing (and my new imaginary husband) mill owner John Thorton (Richard Armitage). The film is not entirely a love story, although that is the overarching goal. It is about the trials and tribulations of a town based solely on the cotton milling industry and how the decreasing demand for cotton fabric over linen in London will destroy Thorton’s fortune and ultimately the town who relies on his factory for jobs.

People die, people live, people get corrupt and people stay virtuous. Basically, if you’ve read/seen PRIDE AND PREJUDICE you’ll know this story too, but it’s the compelling acting of and delectable chemistry between Denby-Ashe and Armitage that kept me awake longer than I should have been. From the moment Thorton sees Margaret in his factory he is enchanted by her and her free-spiritedness. She demands he treats his workers with respect and he, in turn, teachers her how to appreaciate and love her new home. Just like in PRIDE AND PREJUDICE we learn of Thorton’s love for Margaret early on (and his insecurities regarding Margaret’s feelings towards him), and we spend the last two hours holding our breath waiting for Margaret to get over her prejudices and just flipping kiss the guy already! I won’t spoil their final scene together, but just as a warning I should have brought tissues to bed with me. Thinking about it still gets my heart all fluttery. I have officially added Richard Armitage to my TiVo and Netflix lists.

Have you seen NORTH & SOUTH? Do you have a BBC recommendation for me? There is no better way to spend the holidays than cuddled up with a romantic British miniseries and I think I started off perfectly!

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Starheart said...

Yes i've seen North & South!!! Love it to pieces. Started blogging about Richard Armitage as well, and haven't stopped.

I'd recommend Little Dorrit or Cranford, but seriously, NOTHING compares to N&S. It looks like you've been struck by the 'Thornton effect', causing repeat viewings of N&S and anything else with Richard Armitage in it. Try BBC Robin Hood (ok to crap show but GREAT RA viewing, Sparkhouse or Spooks series 7 or 8)

5:05 AM  
Blogger Reel Vixen said...

Thank you so much for the recs! I LOVED Little Dorrit so much. I can't wait for the new PBS Masterpiece Classics season to start. So excited about the new EMMA.

Still waiting for Tess of the D'Urbervilles to come out on DVD. Missed that one that year

12:01 PM  
Blogger Reel Vixen said...

I tried to watch Robin Hood passed the first season, but even Richard couldn't do it for me. I'll give Sparkhouse and Spooks a try though!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Starheart said...

Have you heard of Firelight? A P&P fan friend of mine recommended it but said it's hard to get a copy of this 1997 gem. I haven't found one yet but she was pretty persistent, and since N&S i've learnt to listen to fanatical raving. It's closer to Jane Eyre than P&P.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Reel Vixen said...

so I got really excited because I thought that Richard was in the new Mel Gibson movie, but he is not...

11:06 AM  
Blogger Clare said...

I recommend the book North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

Have you tried the 1995 version of Persuasion? That is one of my favourites. I also recommend Our Mutual Friend.

You will find that Richard Armitage has a devoted fan following, check out C19.

BTW it's Mr Thornton not Thorton.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Thisishollywood said...

Hi,
Fascinating work.Looks to be quite entertaining.The North And South DVD is more than worth the price for Books One and Two. This is a thoroughly entertaining mini-series reminiscent of a prime time soap opera, one with a historical perspective. With a cast of characters and fascinating costumes and set design, North And South is an epic of unrivaled quality.

lisa

5:34 AM  
Blogger Thisishollywood said...

Hello,
I like this blog
Hollywood memorabilia lines all the walls of the restaurant Planet Hollywood. Bongos Cafe presents diners with some delicious Cuban cuisine. There are many other shops, including a huge selection of magnets at Magnetron Magnetz, tricks and gags available at Magic Masters, all sorts of sweets at Candy Cauldron, and authentic American collectibles and memorabilia at Starabilias.

lisa

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home